Casual Relief Teacher Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Working?

Go down

Not Working? Empty Not Working?

Post  Ingrid H Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 pm

I was thinking about starting up a service for students that need extra tutoring, in their home. What are your thoughts? I would need to know what literacy program their school was utilising so as not to complicate their learning.

Ingrid H

Back to top Go down

Not Working? Empty Re: Not Working?

Post  CarolV Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:59 am

I think if a student needs extra help, anything you do would compliment rather than complicate their learning. If they're having trouble, maybe they need a fresh approach to something that may already be being implemented at school.

How do your propose to start it all up and get the ball rolling?

CarolV

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen K Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm also thinking of setting up a tutoring service too, but in numeracy.
I think it would help the students, just need to ask them how their lesson went, if you're worried about complicating their learning.

Owen K

Back to top Go down

Not Working? Empty tutoring

Post  SueD Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 am

I have been tutoring privately for a few years now and I love it!  The kids and families are motivated and there are usually no behavioural issues to deal with - it's blissful.  I work with the parents and the teachers to achieve improvements in literacy and mathematics as much as I can because I like the team approach.  If you can work with the teachers then you have the opportunity to focus on something specific for that child that perhaps the teacher doesn't have time to do - I believe that they are the experts in your student.  

I write my parents a report at the end of the term to let them know how things are progressing and what goals we have for the following term but always give them verbal feedback on what we've done on the day.  I ask my students to tell their parents we've done during the 1 hour - it makes them accountable, gives them something to share and talk about and helps me to know if they understood what we were meant to be doing!  

There is a website where you can register as a tutor (Tutorfinder) so would suggest that you look at that first to see what is on offer in your area.  It takes a while to get things set up in terms of resources but there are always cheap ways of doing things and I find Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers are excellent for ideas and resources.  Good luck!

SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum